Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Creole-Style Shrimp, Chicken, and Sausage Gumbo

For the life of me, I don't know how I managed to get gumbo on the brain. It isn't Mardi Gras after all, and the weather really has been too warm to justify the need for a stick-to-your-ribs stew. All I know is that once the idea popped into my head, nothing but gumbo was going to satisfy my craving.
Feeling somewhat intimidated by Creole cooking -- and really not wanting my efforts to be in vain, I turned to a trusted cookbook: Soups, Stews, and Chilis from the Editors of Cook's Illustrated. I "borrowed" this book from a colleague about a year ago, for the specific purpose of making Chicken Mole, and well, I never gave it back. Not that my colleague is complaining. After all, he does get samples of anything I create as a result of his generous spirit.

Now, I want to copy the recipe. I really do. But given that Cook's Illustrated requires a paid subscription to view the recipe on their site, I have a feeling it's not exactly kosher to publish it for free here. Sooooo, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to give you the link for the real thing, which you can pay for if you like, ANd I'm going to direct you to another blog where I found a very similar recipe.
If you're wondering whether it's worth the effort to click on the above link, I can assure you that the answer is yes. This shrimp, sausage, and chicken gumbo is DELICIOUS, makes a ton, and although somewhat time-consuming, is quite simple to make. The CI technique for making the roux is particularly easy. You basically brown some flour in a Dutch oven on the stovetop, stir in some oil, put a lid on it, and stick it in the oven for 45 minutes. Just be careful upon removing the lid. I was hasty, and let me tell you, that stuff'll really clear your sinuses! Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment