Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Shredded Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Garlic


I have a confession to make. I'm not much of a vegetable eater. In fact, there are a number of veggies that I won't touch with a 10-foot spoon. And unless ketchup and tomato sauce count as vegetables, I pretty much never get my recommended servings.

My significant other, however, is the exact opposite. He could likely subsist on greens alone and be perfectly content.  I know his veggie consumption has decreased considerably since I moved in, so for Valentine's Day, I wanted to do something nice and make something nutritious. Or at least, nutritious-ish.

Amazingly, I actually happen to like brussels sprouts -- at least when they're shredded and carmelized with some tasty pork fat. This marks the first time I've ever tried to make them on my own, and I'm happy to report thaelf that t my attempt was a marked success.

There are dozens of recipes out there on the blogosphere, and I imagine that most, if not all, will produce similarly fabulous results. All else being equal, I went with a version on Skinnytaste, so I could convince myself that the calories in the oil and pancetta don't count. The brussels sprouts cancel those out, right?

Right.




Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Garlic
(from Skinnytaste)
 
  • 2 oz pancetta, minced
  • 2 lb brussels sprouts (weight after outer leaves and stems removed)
  • 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced or sliced thin
  • kosher salt and fresh ground pepper


  • With a large sharp knife, finely shred the brussels sprouts after thoroughly washing.

    In a deep heavy saute pan, sauté pancetta on medium-low heat until fat melts and pancetta becomes golden, about 5 minutes. Add olive oil and garlic and sauté until golden. Add shredded brussels sprouts, salt and pepper to taste and sauté on medium-low heat for about 4-5 minutes until tender and crisp.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment