Why, savory scones, of course!
(from Confections of a Foodie Bride)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper (cut back to 1 tsp, if you're not a pepper lover like me)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- heavy cream, optional (I didn't use it, but you can substitute for half the buttermilk, if you like)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp water
Grab your peppermill and start grinding - use a full tablespoon for a wonderfully peppery background or reduce by 1 tsp for less pepper flavor.
Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl on low speed.
With mixer running, gradually add cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly and studded with flour - butter bits about the size of small peas.
Add grated cheese and mix just until blended. (This can also be done by hand: In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Gradually cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in cheese.)